So there's this very friendly, cute girl at work. I would rate her at 6-7. She is socially confident because of her intelligence, but clearly shy and insecure about her looks.
Here are the IOIs.
1. She initiated conversation with me about the fact that we went to the same school. This was our initial rapport.
2. She sat in front of me during training. On several occasions she turned around to talk to me. Each time she turned around to talk to someone sitting next to me, she would look at me more than the guy she was talking to, to see if I was listening too.
3. When the day was over, she asked me how I was getting home. The train, I said. We went home together.
4. We talked on the train. I said a certain word funny, and she playfully slapped me on the arm and said "you say that just like people do in (insert the state we went to school in).
5. On the walk home from the station, she said "I'm really out of it today," and "I'm sorry, I must be boring you."
6. The next day, she informed me that she was unable to find my profile on facebook. She looked for me "to see if we had any friends in common."
I debated with myself as to whether these were IOIs or if she was just being friendly. Afterall, I was initiating conversation with her too. She was receptive, so I will believe that she was interested in me, at the very beginning. But here's where it starts getting fuzzy.
1. I started making LAME attempts to be funny. Bad jokes. Weird comments. No laughs. At one point I said "why do you bring brown bag lunches like all the lame kids at school?" she said "you know what's lame? Judging people." To which I said "You know what? You're farking lame." I cocked my head during the delivery. She giggled a little but I think I came off as weird and try-hard.
2. I started telegraphing a lot of interest. I can't really describe how, but I definitely did. I sort of flirted with her but she wasn't feeling it.
3. She wore this weird ring on her left ring finger. I asked her "are you married?" She said "um, no."
4. After work, I asked her, "what are you doing today?" she said, "I have a lot of work to do."
5. On the train ride she was clearly avoiding me. I played it off like I didn't care.
6. On the last little segment of the walk home, the rest of the group left and it was just me and her. Instead of parting ways at the street corner, she turned before we reached the corner.
7. I facebook friended her, after learning what her last name was. On facebook, I asked her to coffee. She accepted, but then canceled because "she had a lot going on, but would do it some other time." She didn't specify another time.
8. At work the following monday, she still talked to me a little, but I wasn't getting the IOIs from the day before.
Okay so I pretty clearly farked this up. I have a general idea why.
Please critique me!!! I need to get this straightened out. Should I forget this girl? Or do I still have a chance? How do I take it from here??