I used to pin SOOOOOO much on how good an opener should be.
Here's the thing....
Openers aren't anything but getting a conversation going. THAT'S IT. You'll graduate from this quickly and where you should focus your time is on dhv storytelling. Shit, I bounced a girl on NYE with, "What's better, pie or cake?" as my opener.
I'm telling you, there's NO such thing as a PERFECT opener, because openers AREN'T going to get the girl, they're not going to make her want to jump in bed with you, none of that nonsense.
Openers are designed to DO JUST THAT......OPEN.
That being said, there are GOOD ways to open just as there are BAD ways to open (like tapping her on the back of the shoulder *cringe*).
I'm mostly an indirect guy and learned my schtick from MM and Style (though I go direct if I see interest from her). If you follow either there's an important component of the structure of opening.
- FTC (Hey guys, quick question but I gotta get back to my friends here in a sec...)
- Root - give them a reason why you're asking (This is happening my buddy Tom *from my experience, use a name or they'll assume it's you*)
- Socially relevant story
- Get their opinions, cut them off quickly and give your take on the story (don't dwell on the story too long)
- Thank them, body-rock away and then....
- Ask how they know each other.
And while you're doing this you should be body-rocking as if you're just about to leave at any second.
And this should all happen with a 3 minute time-span.
It's way more important to start working on your DHV stories guys. Don't dwell too much on openers.