According to Markus Frind, POF founder, below are what he surmises as the 6 keys to success at POF (My Nickel will follow):
1. If you upload a picture of yourself you tend to get 10 times the number of responses.
2. If you message people without pictures they are more likely to respond to you.
3. Use the advanced search to search for users based on height, ethnicity etc.
4. Use the mail settings to block groups of people you aren't interested in from messaging you.
5. Use the who has viewed me feature to check out who has been looking at your profile.
6. Make sure to check out your matches.
My Nickel regarding the Six above:
1. I read that only very attractive guys get hits. Not so. Check out the success stories on POF and most of the guys are average and below - some are FUDs. One guy's profile was mixed in w/women's listings. He was 5'5" tall, dressed poorly, not good looking, weak profile, had pix of him fixing a bike, one of a teddy bear, one in front of a truck and a close-up portrait. Looked like this dude did his homework. I read in Cosmo that women get turned on by watching guys work on their hobbies and cutesy sh1t like teddy bears. The only thing wrong with the teddy bear photo was that I didn't think of it first!
2. This is true. The first member I messaged had no photo. She responded and I fk her the next day. She was an HB3-5. It took me almost a week to get my photos up loaded, so I imagine others might have problems up loading their photos too. I also think some woman want to be discreet. They don't want anyone to know they're on the ding-a-ling prowl.
3. I have not used any of the Advanced features. Haven't had to. Doing well w/o them. If things work well using the free features, then for sure, the upgraded features would be a plus.
4. This is a no brainer.
5. The "Viewed Me" feature is great. You can chase after someone's initial interest. I always thank them for cking me out and add some self-defecating remark, "Thanks for checking out my profile. Please don't call the fashion police on me."
6. The "Matches" feature is similar to the "Viewed Me" one w/an advantage - it's done the initial task of finding you someone that is looking for a guy like you.
At the current moment, I am receiving unsolicited messages from women telling me they are interested in meeting me. They mention my description of the first date. This is a feature that is part of the profile. I went all out and combined what could be five dates from first meet to fk close into one date. You could also say it describes the first meeting to the honeymoon night in one short paragraph!
Lots of Sh1t Tests at POF. So far two thirds have been duds, with half of them Zero responses and the other half rude responses which I consider sh1t tests. A cougar told me that I was too old and that she only did guys 27 or younger. I responded with, "Good luck w/ur bucket list granny!" Another one blocked me because I didn't have a photo. She cussed me out first so I sent her a link to Alcoholics Anonymous.
I am in a fairly large city. There are over 3 million peeps here. 50% are women, 70% are over 18, 20% live alone, ± 750 ppl/sq mile or ± 75 single women over 18/sq mile. My targets are usually between 37 and 44, with an occasional woman in her 50s.