So I asked out this girl last Friday,and made plans for this Friday. However, when I checked with her on Monday if we were still on, she forgot we made plans. What I'm wondering is: Can I consider this as her really being this forgetful, or a sign of a lack of interest? (My gut feeling is the latter, but I'd still appreciate some opinions from the community)
So some details about the situation:
- We have the same class, which consists of three lectures a week
- She doesn't much show up for class; only about one lecture a week (The reason why I didn't ask her out earlier was because one thing I look for is a person who knows how to prioritize, and I took her lack of commitment to school as indication of a lack of it. However, her grade on the test was still good, so perhaps she's just smart and doesn't feel she needs to attend lecture?)
- I have no reason to doubt that she's single, and I don't think she's seeing anyone
- She hangs around me only in class, though she knows some other people there, and I don't know them
- She's expressed interest in hanging out with me before for non-date things, though she flakes out, especially when it comes to working out at the gym (I think she's self-conscious, because I know she does yoga with her sister)
- These past two weeks have been midterm week, so we've both been swamped with school. The planned date night would mark the beginning of reading week, aka mid-semester break.
Here's where I think I might have gone wrong:
- Waited too long to ask her out? Maybe I should have gone out with her first before making judgments about whether she's worth my time or not?
- As I mentioned, she doesn't go to lecture too much, so I send her my lecture notes. Now I don't do this just because it's her; I would help if the friend were a guy or girl, hot or not. For me, school is a higher priority than dating. I keep classmates around for study purposes, and even if she were a worse student than me, explaining material to her would help my own understanding and articulation. However, I'm not sure if by doing so, I unintentionally made myself less of a challenge, or she understands I'm just that kind of person. Outside of this, I make her work for my attention, etc.
What I'm trying now is freezing her out. I figure if she really forgot, and wants to make it up to me, she'll fight to get my attention again. Otherwise, she won't do anything.
Anyways, I would appreciate any input I can get. Thanks!
Edit: I just found a post from a contributor with some advice I'll try when we talk again: be neutral to her, and say, "I honestly thought you were fun, and I wanted to get to know more about you. If not, let's just be friends". Thanks!