For me, Texting (or knowing how to text girls properly) is like that one subject in school / high school that you could just never understand or pass, but you were required to take and pass it to be successful.
HERE IS MY SITUATION AND QUESTION:
1. I met this girl through another girl I knew at school.
2. She found me fun and interesting and voluntarily gave me her number so she and I could hang out sometime. She showed lots of "signals" or "ioi's"
3. We texted a bit back and fourth but I intentionally kept things very short since I know my texting skills usually screw everything up.
4. We never got around to hanging out before I left town for holiday "vacation," but she was ALWAYS immediately or enthusiastically replying to my texts.
4. Very recently I made the mistake of beginning to text her more often which led me to screwing up (but I managed to save myself).
5. Today I use a technique for getting her on the phone that I learned from the Texting Bible," which is basically to say (paraphrasing here) "Hey, gotta minute?" Then when she replies, say "I'm going to call you so pick up your phone.
6. She replied quickly to "gotta minute" by saying "depends, 4 wat?" and I did my thing then called and got no answer.
7. Not knowing what to do, I stupidly said "Oh quit being scared and answer your phone before the world ends!" (I did this because I figured if I did nothing after calling and getting no answer when she was obviously there, it would make me look as if I was upset or reacting to the fact that she didn't answer, but I also knew I was screwing up when I sent that follow up text.)
8. SHE REPLIED: "sorry was with my boyfriend and left my phone on the couch."
9. Once again, I knew I was (now even more so) in a situation where if I didn't reply, I'd look like I was reacting or I was upset, so I stupidly said "I forgive you. Call me when you get a chance."
Now, I'm not sure if she's familiar with my "I forgive you" joke-line that girls love, and even if she is, she may not remember me doing it with her when I met her, so it probably came across as "nice-guy-ish" through text (in addition to me saying dumb things with it).
* I'm not asking what to do next since I know I'm pretty much screwed with this particular girl. However, I am asking what should I do or say if this (situation #6 and situation #8 above) happens again?
* I should've came here to this forum and asked questions earlier BEFORE replying to her BOTH TIMES, but figured that if I waited for replies and no one replied to my post in a timely matter, then all the time I spent not texting her back while waiting would cause her to think I wasn't responding because I was upset with or reacting to her (which would also cause me to screw up and lose any chances of friendship or whatever I had with her).
* And lastly, has anyone figured out how to still get by and not lose people despite making mistakes and not always knowing what you're supposed to say in texts?