Top 10 Stats
Latest Posts Loading... Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Loading...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 47
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Building a body as a skinny guy

  1. #21
    TheDuke's Avatar
    TheDuke is offline PUA Forums Respected Contributor
    Points: 18,053, Level: 92
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social7 days registered10000 Experience Points
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    813
    Points
    18,053
    Level
    92
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    772

    Default Re: Building a body as a skinny guy

    I actually just wanted to add one more thing. If you're working out everyday with weights, then you're not working out hard enough. When you're weight training properly, rest days become mandatory, they aren't optional. Your body will not allow you to work out 7 days a week if you are doing it properly.
    "It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything."

  2. #22
    crokstad's Avatar
    crokstad is offline Aspiring PUA
    Points: 62, Level: 1
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 14.9%
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thames, New Zealand
    Posts
    7
    Points
    62
    Level
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Building a body as a skinny guy

    This time around I've been working out for about 5 weeks straight. I have worked out in the past, but generally gave up after seeing a lack of results. I didn't have NLP at my disposal then though, and find the motivation to carry on regardless of results fairly easy.

    I've been alternating a full body workout with an upper body workout. Each consists of a circuit of 7-10 exercises. The upper body workout is focused around using weights, I use 8lb weights either arm, 10 different exercises, 15 reps each. The full body is Body weight rows - 15 reps, body weight squats - 25 reps, push ups - 15 reps, jumping jacks - 50 reps, mountain climbers - 20 reps, close grip push ups - 10 reps, and bicycle crunches - 20 reps. I avoid cardio mostly, already had a personal trainer friend a few years back when I was trying to gain mass tell me I should not really be doing cardio aside from warming up.

    The upper body workout is normally in a slow manner, providing more Tension. The full body I normally try and burn through.

    I work out at home because I can't afford a gym membership. I've even substituted weights from my old diving weight belt for dumb bells. Family circumstances atm see my money dedicated elsewhere.

  3. #23
    crokstad's Avatar
    crokstad is offline Aspiring PUA
    Points: 62, Level: 1
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 14.9%
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thames, New Zealand
    Posts
    7
    Points
    62
    Level
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Building a body as a skinny guy

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDuke View Post
    I actually just wanted to add one more thing. If you're working out everyday with weights, then you're not working out hard enough. When you're weight training properly, rest days become mandatory, they aren't optional. Your body will not allow you to work out 7 days a week if you are doing it properly.
    I was beginning to think this myself. Looking at increasing the weights I'm using up to 5 kg from 3.5 (11 lb) ones. I work out till I'm drenched in sweat and I generally ache. But the next day after some light stretches and 5 mins warm up I'm ready to go again. The first week it was difficult to go again each day, but I kept pushing myself.

  4. #24
    Virgil's Avatar
    Virgil is offline Moderator / PUA All Star
    Points: 18,408, Level: 86
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 442
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social31 days registered10000 Experience Points
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    923
    Points
    18,408
    Level
    86
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    789

    Default Re: Building a body as a skinny guy

    You do too many reps on the arms. It improves your muscles' stamina instead of mass. You can gain good mass on your biceps, triceps, shoulders, upper front legs and chest with dumbells. You need to cut the reps, though. 15 is just too much. Try 3x8 with 30 second breaks in between.

    Also, remember that the clenching part (dunno how to call that, the part where you lift the dumbell when training biceps for example) is a quick move (1.5 secs) and when you go back to the basic stance (putting your arm back down on the biceps for example) is a slow move (3-4 secs). That goes for all exercises where a set consists of 8 repeats.

    Doing 2-3 exercises for each muscle three times a week should get you great results. I know some guys go like 5 times a week, but they do different muscle groups every time. So really they still train their whole body 2-3 times a week.

    A lot of your exercises, like the jumping jacks and mountain climbers, are exercises that will make you burn fat. They won't really get you muscled. That's good on the belly because it has a thick fat layer over it and if you can remove that, you'll see the abs, but it's not good for building mass on your upper body.

  5. #25
    crokstad's Avatar
    crokstad is offline Aspiring PUA
    Points: 62, Level: 1
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 14.9%
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thames, New Zealand
    Posts
    7
    Points
    62
    Level
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Building a body as a skinny guy

    Thanks Virgil and Duke, you guys have been a great help

    The jumping jacks workout was supposed to be a routine aimed at skinny people, will have to bear that in mind. Thanks again guys!

  6. #26
    Yolo007's Avatar
    Yolo007 is offline PUA Forums Respected Contributor
    Points: 3,163, Level: 36
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered1000 Experience Points
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    219
    Points
    3,163
    Level
    36
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    142

    Default Re: Building a body as a skinny guy

    I've used some bodybuilding sites to help. I've gained almost 10 pounds in 2 weeks from this work out. But its focuses on us really skinny guys. Hope it helps.
    Last edited by KristiBell; 02-25-2013 at 06:17 PM.
    In life you get what you put into it.

  7. #27
    TheDuke's Avatar
    TheDuke is offline PUA Forums Respected Contributor
    Points: 18,053, Level: 92
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social7 days registered10000 Experience Points
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    813
    Points
    18,053
    Level
    92
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    772

    Default Re: Building a body as a skinny guy

    Then you gained 9 pounds of fat minimum.

    Edit: Or water weight
    "It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything."

  8. #28
    TheDuke's Avatar
    TheDuke is offline PUA Forums Respected Contributor
    Points: 18,053, Level: 92
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social7 days registered10000 Experience Points
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    813
    Points
    18,053
    Level
    92
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    772

    Default Re: Building a body as a skinny guy

    Quote Originally Posted by crokstad View Post
    Thanks Virgil and Duke, you guys have been a great help

    The jumping jacks workout was supposed to be a routine aimed at skinny people, will have to bear that in mind. Thanks again guys!
    My best advice for you is to get into a gym and get doing some large muscle group lifts (squats, deadlifts, etc.) with heavier weights. For a guy like you you're going to need to focus on building mass. These large muscle group lifts temporarily increase free flowing testosterone in your body and will allow you to make bigger gains.

    The other thing you might benefit from is a creatine monohydrate. Creatine gets a bad rap, but it's benefits can't be denied. Just make sure you drink a lot of water when you use it.
    "It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything."

  9. #29
    TheDuke's Avatar
    TheDuke is offline PUA Forums Respected Contributor
    Points: 18,053, Level: 92
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social7 days registered10000 Experience Points
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    813
    Points
    18,053
    Level
    92
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    772

    Default Re: Building a body as a skinny guy

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    You do too many reps on the arms. It improves your muscles' stamina instead of mass. You can gain good mass on your biceps, triceps, shoulders, upper front legs and chest with dumbells. You need to cut the reps, though. 15 is just too much. Try 3x8 with 30 second breaks in between.

    Also, remember that the clenching part (dunno how to call that, the part where you lift the dumbell when training biceps for example) is a quick move (1.5 secs) and when you go back to the basic stance (putting your arm back down on the biceps for example) is a slow move (3-4 secs). That goes for all exercises where a set consists of 8 repeats.

    Doing 2-3 exercises for each muscle three times a week should get you great results. I know some guys go like 5 times a week, but they do different muscle groups every time. So really they still train their whole body 2-3 times a week.

    A lot of your exercises, like the jumping jacks and mountain climbers, are exercises that will make you burn fat. They won't really get you muscled. That's good on the belly because it has a thick fat layer over it and if you can remove that, you'll see the abs, but it's not good for building mass on your upper body.
    It's called an isometric hold. Isometric holds increase hypertrophy, same with using a different tempo such as a 1.3.1 tempo.
    "It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything."

  10. #30
    crokstad's Avatar
    crokstad is offline Aspiring PUA
    Points: 62, Level: 1
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 14.9%
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thames, New Zealand
    Posts
    7
    Points
    62
    Level
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Building a body as a skinny guy

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDuke View Post
    The other thing you might benefit from is a creatine monohydrate. Creatine gets a bad rap, but it's benefits can't be denied. Just make sure you drink a lot of water when you use it.
    Crap....I actually gave away some Creatine that came free with my Weight Gainer protein supplement...the lady in the store told me it was for burning fat, and I could use it as I built up fat....I have next to no fat, so figured it would be bad for me.

    Thanks Duke!

    Just took on a second job today, so should be able to afford a Gym membership soon


Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. For Skinny or Average Size Guys: Building More Muscle = More Sex
    By Girlwithnoname in forum Self Improvement And Health
    Replies: 10
    Last Thread: 10-19-2011, 06:52 PM
  2. Building Your Body to Build Your Life
    By Girlwithnoname in forum Self Improvement And Health
    Replies: 7
    Last Thread: 09-30-2011, 09:24 AM
  3. Building attraction over email
    By JonTylerDiPrince in forum General Questions
    Replies: 0
    Last Thread: 02-20-2011, 04:31 PM
  4. Here's one for overall rapport building
    By eodice717 in forum Self Improvement And Health
    Replies: 0
    Last Thread: 10-29-2010, 01:13 PM
  5. Comfort Building?
    By BMQ in forum Approaching, Running Sets & Building Attraction
    Replies: 1
    Last Thread: 07-24-2010, 06:07 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
DMCA.com